Title IV Financial Aid Authorization FAQ

What are Federal Title IV Funds?

Title IV funds are federal student aid funds, which are from federal student aid programs administered by the U.S. Department of Education. Title IV funds include Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan, Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, Direct PLUS Loan, Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), and Federal Perkins Loan. It does not include scholarships from the University or other private organizations.

How are Title IV funds applied to my student account?

The Department of Education requires that Title IV funds be applied only to specific allowable charges. Qualified charges include: tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board contracted by the University.

Why do I have an excess of Title IV Funds?

Excess Title IV funds occur when the total amount of Title IV aid funds disbursed to your student account exceeds charges for tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board contracted by the University.

What is the purpose of the Title IV Authorization Form?

In compliance with federal regulations, we must obtain the voluntary permission from the student to apply federal financial aid proceeds to pay for charges other than tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board contracted by the University.

How do I complete the authorization of Federal Title IV Financial Aid Funds?

Log in to Canelink, go to the Student Center. Under Finances click on the drop down box which appears under the Financial Aid links and select “View Student Permissions”. For step by step instructions click here.

Will signing the authorization form help me?

Yes. By signing the form, any excess Title IV funds will be permitted to be applied to prior non‐allowable charges as well as any future non‐allowable charges during the loan period. Furthermore, signing the form will help prevent an “account hold” for unpaid charges, which would prohibit you from registering and enrolling for future semesters, obtaining grades/transcripts, and receiving your diploma.

If I sign the authorization form, will I still be able to request a refund for the credit balance of my student account?

Yes, your authorization is permission for the University to apply excess Title IV funds to non-allowable charges on your student account but it does not prevent you from requesting a refund. You may request a refund of excess Title IV funds or any other eligible credit balance on your student account during your enrollment at the University.

Do I need to sign a new authorization from each semester?

No, by signing this document, you are granting the University authorization to retain excess Title IV funds while you are a student at the University, including breaks in enrollment. You may rescind your authorization at any time.

Does having an excess of Title IV Funds mean that I have a credit balance on my student account?

Not necessarily. An excess of Title IV funds means that the amount of your federal financial aid exceeds the allowable charges (as defined above). You may login to your Canelink account to determine if you have a credit balance or an amount due to the University.